We who lives on Knippla is called "Knoda".
Knot is a fish found along the shores of sandy bottoms down to 140 m depth.
In Swedish waters is the West Coast and in v. Baltic north to Blekinge coast.
History of Knippla, written by Viola Jackson
Knippla is on the islands in
which ultimately became populated.
1778 is the first year that we know with certainty that the people lived on
Källö, at the northern headland.
Then a couple from Hyppeln, Magnus and Malena Persson, settled there, the couple
had a son in 1778.
They moved from Hyppeln to Källö was probably due to Källö belonged to the
people of Hyppeln at the time, and Malena had inherited land from her father.
Three families came to build houses at Källö and two families on Knippla the
next few years.
After a few years, more people moved to the island and built houses on Knippla,
the families who originally settled at Källö moved also to Knippla.
It was the great herring period in the late 1790s that
attracted people to settle here.
When the herring period had its peak in 1809 was the
resident population to about 80 people.
There were three herring salting house, one at Källö, one
of Linn's Bay and one at Laberget (south of the ferry situation).
When the herring vanished in the early 1800s and many
people left moved and left the island.
In 1838 there were 11 occupied houses on the island.
There were difficult years for the poor fishermen, but
they fought on and in the mid-1800s were the resident population approximately
In 1862 it had become 16 houses and 1885 it was 35.
It had been a small herring period and when the herring
disappeared again - boats were bigger than after the first period so the
fisherman families remained.
At that time fishing-nets were used for catching fish. In the early 1900s the
fishermen began with trawling.
At this time
the use of motors began so
they could go further out and fish.
People living here had built houses for them self's but there were no roads and
the population had to walk on the rocks every ware. Same things with the fishing
boats - no dock were used. Boats were moored to the rocks of the island. In the
17ths century logs had been arranged in the eastern harbor and a dock had then
been placed over the log arrangement. In the western port a few rocks had been
placed along the shore.
Around the new century docks were improved, but as the boats became larger and
required lager depth they had to be bayed further out.
The buoy was chained to a large rock. But this was not a good solution.
Sometimes the boats tore away. If there was going to be a
fresh breeze a major anchor was fix to the chain in addition.
To embark the boat a small jolly boat had to be used, which then was left at the
buoy when the larger boat had gone fishing.
This could pose great danger as when they jumped from the bigger boat down into
The 13th of November 1900 seven men from the boat "Lejonet" jumped in to the
small boat and it capsized when the last man came onboard. Six men drowned that
Tip: buy the book "Sven remembers". Fore sale in Coop and
in the Skepshandeln.